We will miss the family get togethers this Easter. We are happy our friends, the Cleggs, will be coming to Easter dinner and joining us for our Egg Hunt. I would love to be there in Utah reminiscing with you all. Instead, I was hoping you could comment and leave your favorite Easter memory. I will award a winner! Keep posted to read all the entries.
Nothing will ever beat Grandma Glo's Easter Hunt! No, the Johnston's don't do eggs! We hide baskets of our favorite snacks and treats. I have childhood memories of the Johnston/Pew clan pushing colorful plastic wheelbarrows around the yard frantically picking up our favorite flavors of puddings, Easy Cheese, Crackers and my favorite Oreos! If this wasn't fun enough we ended the hunt at Grandma's picnic table that had new Easter outfits set out for each of us!
Whenever I think of Easter, my mind quickly goes to the Golden Egg Contest. Yes, this was after the Roast Beef, Honey Baked Ham, Fried Chicken dinner, Easter Hunt, & Easter outfit. A single chocolate golden egg with a $20 attached, was hidden. All the grand kids would search for it. The golden egg had eluded me every year. I was searching high and low. From a distance I spotted the egg deep in the tall pine tree by Glo's garage. I started running toward it. Micah spotted me, he saw my target. He ran across the entire yard! We got to the egg at the same time with a scuffle and maybe some tears! Micah ended up with it. Once again the golden egg literally slipped through my fingers!
Since then we have all grown up and some have had children. Even though we all still want to participate, we enjoy passing on the tradition to our children. (My kids haven't been there the last 3 years.) There are so many fun memories of good times let's hear your favorite! Pass the word on!





7 comments:
I will never forget the Easters that we were all dressed in the same color with coordinating outfits. The highlight had to be the year when all of the girls and I were dressed in gauzy yellow peasant dresses and the boys and dad wore YELLOW LEISURE SUITS!!! The hunt has always been a riot to watch. Some years we really needed that food for our pantry. I think the other memory that stands out was the year that we held the hunt in our front yard at our present home. Everyone was grown, the grandkids were very small and all of you went leaping over the porch and rocks to get to the golden eggs and money filled eggs. Ryan flew by Micah and we had some guests whose mouths fell open when they saw all the grown kids scrambling in a fury for eggs!!!!
I remember Easter always being fun...but I can't think of any particular years with specific stories. Also, the golden egg used to have $100 in it, over the years the amount has gone down. I am looking forward to this year though, because our cupboards are a bit bare right now!
I am still working on a memory. Stay tuned!
When I think of Easter I think of the food hunt. Of course the Johnstons hunt for food. We are so food obsessed, I guess that is what makes it much fun. Right? But I also think of all the hiding places of the golden egg. When we were younger I would say the hiding places were pretty unique. Here are some hiding places I remember:
Dads pocket,
in place of a tail light on a car,
in grandmas light post,
buried in a hole on grandmas lawn,
under a stair in grandmas back yard,
Behind the red bench on grandmas patio,
The gutter of Grandma's house,
By grandmas red gate,
&
in the bushes (this hidding place is a common one).
I hope this year they are creative with the hiding place. Please no more bushes! Do something fun, Please! (Dad I hope you are reading this). The light post and the car tail light were fun and much more challenging. I guess we will all have to wait and see!
Did I win?
Also, please no Mike's pocket...or Reed's for that matter!! 20.00 dollars is not that important to me!!
I think my memories of the easter hunt are far different from Mias. Outfits??? We definately didn't participate in that! I do remember alot of Easter though when we had to do it in Glo's house because it was raining or even snowing (thank goodness for the great weather this weekend). I just remember all lining up (or pushing each other around) to get through the playroom door in to grandma's kitchen to start the hunt...and more specifically, Grandma calling one of those Dang Johnston boys a "Jack Ass" when he pushed through too early...Well Deserved!! Wow, what a Johnston/Pew will do for Storey's pickles or an Artichoke!!
I also remember that one of the best things about the Easter Hunt was the cool container that we got to put our stuff in.
Wow !!! The pressure is on ! I'm going to go back to the store and pick up some items for Hunt 2007.. The Easter Hunt is definitely a highlight in the Holiday Memories for me and I'm sure the other Pew's. Many of you may not know the History of the Hunt. When Mia, Micah and Amby were small, we used to have typical hunts like other families but Beth and I decided that we wanted our children to have healthy treats and not candy.....so we started with apples, Bananas and oranges and a few healthy foods. Then it grew each year into the fabulous hunt it is today. The last few years, since Beth and I have been in charge, I have a great appreciation for Glo and Grandpa for how much they put into this hunt. Many trips are made to the store for items and then more items, and yet more items. It is alot of work but I am certain that all of you will carry on one day because it is very memorable.
Post a Comment