Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It was a very sad day....


We got a call from Grandma Bischoff that our nephew and cousin Derek Jasper had been killed. We were stunned from the shock and disbelief that something so tragic could happen to our family. Our hearts broke for Jennifer and David...Micheal, Rachel and Brian. As the morning wore on I watched my husband cry, be angry and sad all at once. We would break into tears as we told family and friends the horrible news.

Derek and his roommate, Blake Strebel, were driving along Washington Blvd. in Ogden. They had just finished playing basketball at a church. As they crossed 28th street they were hit by 2 criminals running from the police in a high speed chase. They were both instantly killed. We watched as the news channels ran wild with this story. We were so proud of the strength and love that Jennifer showed as she was interview 6 different times. She held no malice or anger toward these two boys who took her son from her. She only wanted them to change their lives for the better and to never do this again. We love you Jaspers. You taught us all a wonderful lesson in how to forgive and be more Christ-like.We love you Jaspers! We will never forget Derek!

12 comments:

Jennie said...

Mia - we are so sorry for your family's loss. We also heard of this story in the local news and were so saddened by it. We were especially sad to learn that a mission call was pending. However, we know their mission just started a little early and in a heavenly location. We wish your family all the best. We hope the spirit of the Comforter will continue to be with them and that through it, they'll find and retain peace.

Glenda said...

I was so sad when Holly told me about this tragic accident! What a strong and amazing family. They truely are an example to many of showing Christ like love!
Mia that was so neat that you met my friend Charmaine at the Winter Quarters Temple! She has lived in Lincoln NB since she got married! We had so many fun times growing up together! She has been through alot and is so strong in the gospel. It really is a small world!! I keep waiting to hear your plans! I hope Utah or closer will be in the plans!!

The Back Row Pew said...

This was such a tragic story and I was so shocked to hear that it was Bruce's nephew. What a strong and grounded family. I love the picture of Easton looking so somber. It is really touching.

Moose said...

This was very hard for Easton...more than I realized. He is old enough now it really had impact and he always looked up to Derek!

Beckie said...

Mia, I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. We watched this on the news here and felt so sad for the family. I have thought of them many times since and wondered how they (both families) were doing.

I am so inspired by their strength! I will keep you all in our prayers.

the medeiros family said...

Mia, I am so sorry. I, too, saw this on the news and was so sad by what happened. I had no idea until now that he was part of Bruce's family. Like you said, the family has handled this with such strength and love...what an example. My love and prayers go out to you and the family. I'm so sorry.

Rich and Tyra said...

This still makes me get choked up every time I see something or sometimes when I think about it in the day or laying in bed at night. I also think what great examples of being Christ like the Jaspers are and are so greatful to have them in our family! It has made me realize to not take people for granted and to appreciate each other more!

Jenny Lee said...

Wow! I don't know how I missed this post. I had no idea this was your family. I heard it all over the news and in the newspaper and felt so awful for the families. My heart goes out to them. It's so hard when such young ones are taken. I always think that God must have another mission for them to fulfill in heaven. What a neat example his family has been for all of us.

ArchRay said...

Mia and Bruce,

So sorry....so heartbreaking.

Holly said...

That was so sad! It just broke my heart and I saw how Bruce was so sad about it. I was glad I got to spend the day with you before you had to take off! We need to get the kids together this summer for sure! Cherry Hill?

Cordie said...

How incredibly sad! I am so sad to hear this, I hope all who were connected to him are well as can be.

Bethers said...

It was a powerful, spiritual funeral. I shared the message with so many people. I truly came away uplifted.