Thursday, June 5, 2008

Biker Girl!

Brighton has now graduated from Kindergarten. It is about time Mom and Dad got serious and teach her how to ride a bike! We live on a street that is semi-busy and our driveway is steep! Not great factors in bike riding. So I took the kids to the park and had Brighton practice on the basketball court. She isn't in the best mood because she is soooo tired. We had a long day of swimming lessons, play dates and swimming at Life Time. These were taken at 8:30 p.m. (bedtime).

My favorite quote of the night was, "Mom I think I need gloves" as Brighton was rubbing her hands from gripping the bars too hard. I, by the way, think she needs a helmet but her old one was too little. Everyone can rest assured we will get one soon. Yeah! Brighton can now ride her bike! This is the last video she would let me take! For the first time in her life she wanted the video turned off! We still need to practice riding on the sidewalk...it's hard to go in a straight line!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Brighton! She will have so much fun riding her bike.

Bethers said...

I think she did great. Yea! for Brighton. I can't wait to see her in real life in 2 weeks.

Rich and Tyra said...

Oh how sweet! I love her facial expression at the end. We need to teach Saige too. She is such a nervous one about getting hurt that I have been putting it off but we need to get on the ball!!! I will have her watch these little video clips of Brighton to get her excited... Way to go Brighton!

laurie said...

Awesome for Brighton!! The kids had so much fun at your house yesterday, thank you. See you soon at swimming.

the medeiros family said...

Mia that is so awesome! My boys have all been late learners (and Sarah still doesn't know how)...so I know what a relief it is to get that one checked off the list! Had you been working w/ her awhile or was that mainly it? Just wondering how long it took...we've got to get going w/ Sarah. Any tips? Great job, Brighton! :)

Mama Mia said...

Julie- This was about it! It was fast! First take them to a circle or lg. basketball court so they have room to ride in a circle pattern. The key is the start position, with the pedal ready to push down! The next thing is to make sure they have some momentum in the begining...I always push and hold on to the seat (not them) for a few runs (yelling pedal, pedal, pedal!)then let go when they aren't paying attention. (You can just run along side.) A little bike is great too so they feel like they won't fall. My last tip is don't do it late in the evening like I did! They are very tired and emotional! Good luck!

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

Hehe I am laughing at the fact that Brighton looks like she wants to cry when she should be so excited because she is riding by herself.

Holly said...

Gosh it is about time you taught her to ride a bike!! J/K I have taught so many of Ally's friends how to ride because of the awesome circle/private lane we live on. When you take the worry of cars away it helps kids so much! But hey our neighbor girl just learned last summer after she graduated from 5th grade!! Her parents don't let her out of there yard much!! they are very protective!

Johnston Family said...

Great Job Brighton! What a good sport!

Ty and Holly said...

Go Brighton! She'll have to come on a bike ride with Jake when she comes to Utah :) He just got some new wheels...lol.

Glenda said...

Boy, she is a fast learner! So cute!! I loved the last video, you are so cute and up-beat, and she has this look of Mom, can we please be Done, I have had enough!! So funny!

Carly said...

Good job Brighton! Can't wait to see your skills this summer.

spenceandcass said...

I can't wait to teach Ava to ride a bike,.....but for now I think we will stick to the barbie training wheels.

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

oh wow I love Brightons little attitude