Our new friends in our ward, Sam and Stephanie Taylor, took us to the Homecoming Husker Game. They had great tickets which are so hard to come by! It happened to be my birthday and so they made the night extra special! Thank you for the wonderful tickets and fabulous birthday song sang by all the HUSKER fans sitting near us, instigated by Sam!
For those of you who live outside of Nebraska let me just explain....the HUSKER game is like Utah Jazz, BYU, UofU tickets times ten! Most of Nebraska is glued to the game and most events like weddings, little league games, and get togethers are scheduled around the Husker games. If you go anywhere on a game day...the zoo...grocery store...mall...everyone is wearing their Husker shirts. I had to borrow mine from a my neighbor Lisa!
Bruce and I just didn't understand what the big deal was, until we went to a game at Memorial Stadium. First of all fans pay $800 a year just for a parking spot to tail gate. They spend all day tailgating.
The fans set up amazing buffets of food and hook up flat screen TVs to watch the game. Side note: these parking spots are not just in the parking lot of the main stadium but lots blocks away from the stadium. Many people don't even have tickets to the game! They just enjoy the party atmosphere in the parking lot. Memorial Stadium holds 85,000 people. When they are all in attendance it becomes the 3rd largest city in Nebraska. #1 is Omaha, #2 is Lincoln and #3 is Memorial Stadium!

I couldn't get over the HYPE they put into every moment in the stadium. It is a sea of red Husker shirts! This is a big screen/scoreboard is at one end of the stadium. It is so high tech. It feels like you are watching the lineup at the Superbowl. 
Each player gives a shout out to the fans and states where he is from and what he is majoring in. The crowd goes wild. The fans are nice and treat you like family because just being there in the stadium you are part of the HUSKER family! This screen also gives you a live feed of the players and coaches leaving the locker room and walk down their red carpet on to the field.
It is pretty climatic and you get excited to see them run out onto the field.
The stadium is pumping with loud music that makes you pound your feet and get in to the Husker groove! The game started out great, tied up 7 to 7, but most of it was painful to watch. The crowd was depressed to see their beloved team get beat by the Missouri Tigers 52-17. It was a late night and we didn't get home till late! Thanks to our friends, Tim and Debbie, for watching our kids and letting them sleep over! What a great birthday!
22 comments:
Just too bad that Mizzou spanked the Cornhuskers really bad. Looks really fun. I think that you're right. As much as the Utes and Cougars are followed here locally, I think that NCAA Football is not yet at the level of the Cornhuskers or some of the teams in the SEC. I guess football is not considered to be religion in these parts (yet).
Glad to hear you enjoyed your unique birthday outing!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIA!! I want you to know I thought of you ON your birthday, I'm just so lame I'm only now wishing you a happy day! It sounds like you had a great one!! Take care!
Had a great time but, not a Husker Fan!
Happy birthday Mia. My favorite time to go shopping is during a husker game. Ha. But, it looks like you had a fun night.
How fun, Mia! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you had a wonderful day! :)
Happy Birthday Mia! This looks like so much fun!
It looks like fun! I would have loved people watching at that!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIA!!!! What a great night! The only thing I can think of to compare with the Husker fans is the world cup soccer games in Brazil! The whole place shuts down to watch the games.
Happy Birthday Mia! It sounds like you had a great time. I can only imagine how exciting it was. I thought the U of U and BYU fans were pretty great, but boy the cornhuskers sound awesome!
Happy birthday! That sounds like a lot of fun. It's exciting to be around people with so much energy.
That looks like so much fun. Buddy got to go with his boss to the tailgate part and the game. I never got to go. Happy belated birthday.
That is a whole culture there! I remember shopping with you in Omaha during the game and the stores were empty! I love you and it sounds like you had a great birthday.
Bummer....but I'm glad you had a good time with your new friends.
Happy Birthday! I have been stalking you blof for so long without commenting. Shame on me. The Husker "fan"-acticsim is almost something you have to experience to believe. What great friends to share those tickets with you. Are they asking for you to give them Easton in return?
I love keeping up with your family on your blog. I keep being amazed at how the kids change. Also, it is fun to see Easton doing so many of the same things as Parker. We will have to find a time this summer to match up a few visting home days. (I still go home for many weeks in the summer!) Miss you all!
Cool! I never went to a game when we lived there! Kev got to! I just remember in the area we lived in people had Herbie the Husker painted on their houses!!! People in Nebraska are very dedicated fans!! Oh Yeah HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! love ya
Happy birthday MIA looks like a fun time .In the sea of red
That looked so fun! :)
Happy Birthday Mia! That game looked like a lot of fun..and I'm totally craving tailgate food :)
Looks like fun. By the way, I tagged you for the 4th folder 4th picture thing.
Mia, sounds like you had a great Birthday. Happy Birthday my friend. I am so grateful for you and I love that we can stay in touch through our blogs. Love ya!
Post a Comment