Brooklyn and I set out for a walk around Lake Zorinski. We had the stroller, sunscreen, snacks, water bottle and cell phone. (I bring the cell phone along to call one or two people to let them know where I am walking. Just in case I come up missing:) Weird I know but when you are all by yourself you have to be careful.)
The sun was shining, it felt good to get out of the house and be in nature. I have always said that Lake Zorinski is Omaha's saving grace. I turned to the west and noticed very dark clouds...I suddenly thought RAIN and wished I had seen the forecast this morning. I thought I had plenty of time and Brooklyn and I started talking about the grasshoppers we saw and the fish in the lake. "Mom, the baby fish love their mommies" I replied, "Yes they do, and the Mommy fish love their babies." We saw birds, squirrels, deer and even a turtle.
Suddenly it started to sprinkle. I knew I was in trouble...I was only half way around and had a long way to get to my car. For those of you who know anything about Omaha, it doesn't just sprinkle it pours! Sheets of water started falling from the sky. Brooklyn started to tell me it was raining and she was getting wet. I told her the rain is a way for the grass and the trees to get a drink. She said, "And the grasshoppers too!"
We were all of sudden as wet as you would be standing the the shower. She never cried or got nervous, even when we heard thunder. We started to sing "Rub a dub dub, Brooklyn in the tub" She liked to point out how the stroller was taking a bath, the animals were taking a bath, the car was getting a bath and even the road was getting a bath.
After several episodes of thunder we made it back to the car. We poured the water out of the cup holders in the stroller, wrung out our pants and wished we had a towel in the car. Although we were surprised, we had a fun time walking, talking and laughing in the rain. It was an unforgettable walk, unlike any other walk I have had. Yeah, I guess I didn't need the sunscreen.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
An Unforgettable Walk...
Posted by Mama Mia at 7:42 PM
Labels: Brooklyn, Deep Thoughts :), Mia, Omaha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





8 comments:
I love this story! I also love how much children adore being in the rain...simple pleasures. Two year olds often remind us to look for the silver lining. The "stroller getting a bath" is so funny.
How fun. I'm sure you'll remember that for years to come. Hopefully she will too. It is fun to have experiences and outing with the "littles" while the big kids are at school.
What a great way you kept your cool and made a rainy experience into something fun.
What a story and no doubt your calmness kept Brooklyn calm, too! I was stuck in a microburst w/ Andrew in a stroller...it's a bit unnerving to be "stuck" in nature, huh?!
What a wonderful memory for the both of you.
It's great how once you get over the whole "getting wet" part, being out in the rain is so fun, especially for kids, and it's kind of invigorating. I know this because I grew up in Seattle and about 67.4% of my childhood memories involve being in the rain :) Loved the entry.
Oh how sweet! What a good way to turn something that could have been viewed as a bad thing into something fun and good! Brooklyn is such a little cutie!
So fun. I love lake Zorinski, and I miss the Omaha weather, but I do not think I would have been as good of sport as Brooklyn.
This is a great story! I bet it wont soon be forgotten.
Post a Comment