Tuesday, February 26, 2008

You are here by Summoned...

I was summoned to appear as a prospective Grand Juror. My summons required me to call in today before I reported to the Douglas County Hall of Justice. Lucky me the jury positions were filled, and they did not need my service!!! I was relieved.


I did learn that you can't put off your Jury Duty. They summoned me a little over a year ago and I played the nursing mom card... I plead that it would be a HARDSHIP for me since my baby nursed every 3 hours and would need to attend with me. They left me alone for just a short time and what do you know my name came up again!


Here is what a Grand Jury does, "In the common law, a grand jury is a type of jury which determines whether there is enough evidence for a trial. Grand juries carry out this duty by examining evidence presented to them by a prosecutor and issuing indictments, or by investigating alleged crimes and issuing presentments. A grand jury is traditionally larger and distinguishable from a petit jury, which is used during a trial." Wikipedia

9 comments:

Shalyse said...

yeah...they never forget about you for too long, unfortunately! Do you have to call again tomorrow or are you safe for a few more months?

Jennie said...

Hi Mia~

I found your blog on Julie (Jensen's) site. It is good to "see" you again. I think the last time we talked was at the reunion when we worked on the book. I hope you are enjoying Omaha. I am sure it is tough to be so far away from home. We just missed each other in Maui. I hope you found more sun that we did. It was a tad rainy during our trip. Take Care, ~Jen Gustafson Dopp

Laurie said...

I was thinkin' about you all day wondering if you had to serve. I'm glad you didn't. Although, if it's a juicy and exciting case I think it could be fun to be on the jury. But, no lawyer would choose me to sit on, I am just to emotional and easy to persuade.

the medeiros family said...

Phew!! Are you in the clear or does you name just keep coming to the top of the list?

Mercy said...

Those Nebraska people must sure keep their records in check - the same thing happened to me - I delayed when I was nursing Mason then I got the notice almost exactly a year later - thankfully it was the week AFTER we left Nebraska and had become Illinois residents! I guess the next time you get summoned you'll just have to MOVE!!! (home, I hope)

Mama Mia said...

I believe I am off the hook for good or until it is my turn again...yeah!

Parry's said...

I was called to jury duty mid July. Busy Busy time in Bear Lake for me. They first chose 12 and I was one of them then down to 6 I was chosen again. I was there all day for a $50 fine.

Bethers said...

I think you would be a great JUROR!!!

Anonymous said...

Mia all you have to do is tell them your a racist and you dont have to do it