Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Volcano, Hawai'i, USA!

The Kilauea Caldera...

We have packed a ton of fun into our first full day here on the Big Island! This ash plume formed just yesterday! Everyone is excited about it! It was pretty amazing but Volcano National Park closed the area around it so you really couldn't get close.
I loved walking up the trails with all the beautiful foliage. As we saw walked near the Thurston Lava Tube we were amazed. It was so cool to walk into the under ground tunnel formed from Lava flow! Bruce was having a fun time...

We saw tons of Lava...We drove down to the coast...what a beautiful sight...black lava rocks and blue ocean! Look Mom no hands! Yes, Bruce freaked me out because he stepped out on the edge and jumped on a rock that looked like it was going to break off!

This picture is for Brighton...she didn't know what a convertible was! Bruce and I had a great time buzzing around in this! It is the first time he has done something so "touristy"!

We hiked down a cliff to Black Sand Beach near Kalapana.

Once we had scaled the cliffs ...

and turned the corner we realized we were over dressed...Shalyse you wanted speedo here is what we found... close your eyes if you have a weak stomach!

It was a beautiful beach...

But the situation made me feel a little uncomfortable...I didn't dare look at anyone (and was wondering why anyone else would want to!) I was amazed when I spotted about 20 dolphins...they kept jumping in the water and did flips! I hiked up the rocks to get a better view, if you know what I mean. I was so frustrated because I couldn't catch the dolphins in the air with my camera, (look close) here are 3 swimming in the water!


We left the weired old naked people and went to see some lava flow up close and personal...It didn't turn out to be so up close, but here is lava from Kilauea spilling into the ocean!Since our arrival late last night, we have driven around the entire Island. It is beautiful to see the different sides of the island. Hawai'i is definitely is the BIG ISLAND! We are tired but enjoying our time together...Thanks Mom for taking such great care of the kids! Kiss them for us! ALOHA!

16 comments:

ArchRay said...

All I can say is Wow!

Johnson Family said...

Hey looks like an amazing time.well eexcept from the old naked man.(lol)enjoy guys

Jennie said...

Oh Yeah! I'm so glad you are having fun. We loved VNP and the lava tube. You'll also have to go and find some of the waterfalls. They are really pretty! Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your alone time. Kids are wonderful but it is also great just to spend time with each other.

Rich and Tyra said...

It looks like so much fun!!! That is so funny you found the nudist beach for the elderly!!! I would have probably felt a little uncomfortable too:)!!!!

Kim said...

It looks like you are having a great time! It makes me really excited for our trip to Hawaii in June (we are going to O'ahu to visit Jana). I hope we don't run into any nudist beaches though... :)

the medeiros family said...

Ewww...too funny about the nekkid beach! I can't believe all you've packed in on your first day (when I went I was soo jet-lagged I couldn't do anything! lol) What beautiful sites you are seeing...can't wait to see more!

Ty and Holly said...

That looks awesome! I love the black sand beaches. It reminds me of Costa Rica :) And what is up with the nude people at the beaches. Ty and I experienced that too with some foreigners from Europe...but they were woman, yuck!

Shalyse said...

SO PRETTY....am I'm not talking about that nasty old man! Bruce...did you get caught looking?

one time in Maui we were at Little Beach (a nude one) and saw two old men in the BUCK playing paddle-ball...IMAGINE THAT IF YOU WANT TO! haha

Looks like you guys are having an amazing time, keep the pics coming! It's fun to see your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time.

Jade and Todd said...

Okay, I was talking to Tyra today about your shoe, Mia....Then all the sudden I remembered having this wierd conversation this morning with you...I could not remember if I actually called you in my sleep, or if it was a dream! Tyra was laughing at me trying to remember! I looked at my cell phone to see if I dialed your number, and luckily, it must have been a dream! I seemed like I had really called you! You look like your seeing a lot! How fun!

Laurie said...

Awesome, keep the pic's comin'. I can't wait to hear about the dinners, luau, & Award banquet. Looks like you are certainly enjoying the beautiful and relaxing Hawaii!

Carly said...

fun, fun, fun.

Bekah said...

So much fun! Well, except for the nude beach part ha!

Bethers said...

Can't wait to show these to the kids!!!

Heidi A said...

Okay, Mia, that wins picture of the year! Hilarious!!! Loved it. What a fun trip:)

McCall said...

Wow! It has been a while since I checked in on the Bishoff Bunch! Didn't you just go to Hawaii? :) I think I knew about the trip, but didn't realize it was so soon after your other trip. Not that you could ever have TOO many trip Hawaii! Looks gorgeous there! Cracking up about the naked old people though. Talk about a "horrid body Thursday!"